Hospitality and tourism

Will my degree be recognised?

This is not really an issue with hospitality and tourism degrees. All degrees within the European Union will be recognised. You will be judged on the skills that you have learned so it is most important that your degree gives you the confidence to put your education into practice.

Many hospitality degrees will be taught by universities with excellent links to industry. It is worth looking at the careers of the teachers and the advisory board at your university. This will give you a good idea of where they have learnt their skills.

Does it make sense to study hospitality abroad?

Hospitality and tourism is one of the biggest sectors of the world economy and is one of the fastest growing. Jobs in hospitality and tourism are highly varied but many of them are focussed on providing services to international travellers. International experience in this context is extremely important. We would actually suggest that it makes no sense to study hospitality and tourism if you are not prepared to travel for all or part of your education.

Professional education in hotel management, leisure management and tourism management is often taken far more seriously abroad than it is here in the United Kingdom. Some universities, such as NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences, even have their own hotels on campus enabling you to get experience of not only working in a hotel but also managing the organisation itself.

What grades do I need to get in?

Universities abroad have varying entry requirements but you will probably find the grades you need are similar to what you would need for a British university. There are often no requirements for particular subjects and many will consider a BTEC in travel and tourism as ideal preparation for studying hospitality and tourism abroad.

What else should I bear in mind?

While you can study hospitality and tourism in English abroad, it is advisable to learn at least one language if you intend to work in international travel and tourism. Some universities will insist that you learn a foreign language as part of your degree. Very few will insist that you have an A-level or any prior knowledge however.

Where should I look for hospitality and tourism degrees abroad?

You can find hospitality schools all around the world, from USA to Australia and throughout Europe. Most hospitality schools are private and therefore charge fees. In Europe, most universities are in Switzerland, Netherlands and Spain.

Dutch hotel schools are probably the most cost effective international options. In addition to NHL Stenden, you might also want to look at Breda University of Applied Sciences.

Farther afield you might want to look at Australia, USA, Dubai and China.

Some thoughts from hospitality students at overseas universities

Sophie Bray

Keren Hewett


Similar courses

About A Star Future

A Star Future provides information and guidance to British students looking to pursue their undergraduate studies abroad.

Through our presentations in schools and our websites we aim to ensure that British-educated students are well informed about their choices.