About the Higher Education System in Belgium

Universities and other HE institutions in Belgium are mainly governed by the Dutch-speaking and French-speaking communities respectively. Currently four Universities in Belgium are currently in the Top 200 Universities in the world according to the THES World University rankings.

Bachelor degrees offered in Belgium are either professional Bachelors, which are more vocationally based, or academic Bachelors, which provide a pathway to Master level study. In the Dutch-speaking community you will find: Universities, University Colleges and Registered Institutes of Higher Education. The latter offers specialised degrees and/or courses that are mainly taught in a foreign language.

Bachelors are accredited by the same organisation as the Netherlands: The NVAO - The Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.

In the French-speaking community you will find: Universities, University Colleges, Art Colleges and Institutes of Architecture.

Entry Requirements for Belgian universities

Completion of a secondary school leaving certificate that is recognised in Belgium. You may have to submit your A-Levels or IB qualifications and get them certified by the University as equivalent.

In addition, certain subjects will require you to take an entrance exam, for example art or engineering; or you may have to complete a competitive exam at the end of your first year, in courses such as medicine or dentistry.

The language of instruction at most HE institutions in Belgium will mainly be in Dutch or French.

You will be expected to prove your proficiency in either of these languages upon entry.

There are however a small number of courses that are taught entirely in English and these are listed on this website site.

How do I get a visa to study in Belgium?

As Belgium is part of the European Union this is not required. However, you need to register with the city hall within 8 working days of arriving in Belgium.

Can I work there as a student?

If you have passport form an EU country, you can work while you are a student, without the need for a work permit.

For more information visit the following


Universities in Belgium

About A Star Future

A Star Future provides information and guidance to British students looking to pursue their undergraduate studies abroad.

Through our presentations in schools and our websites we aim to ensure that British-educated students are well informed about their choices.


    A Star Future Ltd
    No.1 Olympic Way
    Wembley, Middlesex, HA9 0NP, United Kingdom



    0208 782 1163