Hong Kong (SAR)

About the Higher Education system in Hong Kong

For its size Hong Kong has 8 statutory universities and several other HE institutions including post-secondary education colleges, institutes of technology and community colleges all awarding different levels of HE qualifications, such as bachelor and/or associate degrees and diplomas. Some of the universities are among the best in the world with four appearing in the Times Higher Education Top 200 ranking of international universities.

The length of a bachelor degree course can vary between 3 and 4 years and in some cases can be even longer.

Entry requirements for universities in Hong Kong

Generally speaking having 3 A-Level pass is sufficient to get into most universities in Hong Kong, however, some will ask for specific grades and subjects.

In certain cases, A-Levels or the IB can be used to give Advanced standing or advanced credit. Students may be offered the option to start in your second year of study or have to undertake fewer modules at university in their first year.

How do you apply to universities in Hong Kong?

Students can apply for early decision (sometimes called fast track application or advanced offer). This is usually around mid-November in the year prior to entry.

The main round of applications is a little later and can take place at the end of December/beginning of January. If there are spaces available some universities will offer late applications, although do bear in mind your logistics such as your visa and sorting accommodation.

Generally you will have to pay an application fee of around HK $200 to HK $450.

How much does it cost to study in Hong Kong?

For current exchange rates please visit www.xe.com.

The cost vary between different institutions. Statutory universities tend to charge international students in the region of HK $ 120,000 to HK $135,000. Private post-secondary colleges of education can charge fees of around HK $55,000.

Accommodation options include Halls of Residence, off campus housing owned by the university, and private rented rooms, residences or flats.

Halls of residence can include utility bills and meals, but it’s worth checking with the institution before applying. Costs range from around HK $9000 to HK $ 22,000 per academic year.

Hong Kong rental prices are relatively expensive and most private landlords would prefer at least a year’s lease. Private room rents can range from HK $2,500 for a room to around HK $ 9,000.

You will also need to factor in living costs such as food, transport costs around HK and money for social activities.

It is possible to find scholarships for international students to cover your tuition and living costs.Some universities automatically assess a student for a scholarship, others you will have have apply separately, after receiving an offer of a place.

Scholarships are generally based on financial need and academic merit. You may need to uphold your academic performance throughout your studies to continue to be in receipt of your scholarships.

How do I get a visa to study in Hong Kong?

All visitors who do not have a right of abode in Hong Kong are required to apply for a student visa. Even if you do not need an entry visa you will still need to apply for a student one. For more information, please see Immigration Department of the Government of Hong Kong SAR

Can I work there as a student?

It is possible to work alongside your studies whilst on a Student visa but there are restrictions during term time such as location of work and the number of hours you are allowed to work. For the latest information, visit Immigration Department of the Government of Hong Kong SAR

Graduates are also able to stay and work in Hong Kong.

Which are the best universities in Hong Kong?

1. University of Hong Kong

2. Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

3. Chinese University of Hong Kong

4. City University of Hong Kong

5. Hong Kong Polytechnic University

Universities in Hong Kong SAR

About A Star Future

A Star Future provides information and guidance to British students looking to pursue their undergraduate studies abroad.

Through our presentations in schools and our websites we aim to ensure that British-educated students are well informed about their choices.